Sunday 2 September 2018

Authentic Faith ~ the Lola Lamore Interview


Not all tattoos are as straightforward as they first may seem. Icons tend to be interpreted and then quickly shelved under the labels given to them by the collective society and the on-looker. It is through an individual’s personal story that the icon shifts and forms a new meaning. A skull isn’t just a skull. Not all crows fly in the same direction. And a sexy lady doesn’t always represent a particular woman from the past. Tattoos are as unique as the person who is wearing them. 

My next guest on Tattoos: the picture's story, is a perfect example of this uniqueness.  

Raised mainly by his grandparents, David is no stranger to the harsh realities and hard work of the farm life. He grew up on a farm just outside of Holden, in Central Alberta. At first glance, David seems like a normal big guy who you could imagine had tended to the homestead for much of his life; but for those who get to know David a little deeper, realize there is much more to him than just an Albertan farm boy. David is a minister; a minister known as Lola Lamore. 


Tattoo:tps:  Tell me about yourself.

David: Well, I was born in Drayton Valley, Alberta. My mum was a teenage mother so I was raised mostly by my grandparents. We had a farm near Holden Alberta. We had a mixed farm of grain, cattle, and a little bit of everything. My grandfather was an amputee. He lost both of his arms in a bailer, but he continued to be a farmer even after that. He could keep up with an auger or shovel with his feet faster than what I could with my arms. (laughs)

Tattoo:tps: Who was the biggest influence of your life?

David: My Grandmother. I see her as a strong independent, take no shit from nobody kind of person. She has always been supportive of me and still is. 

Tattoo:tps: Do you think that she knew you were bisexual or a drag queen before you knew?

David: No. 

Tattoo:tps: When did you discover that part of yourself?

David: I knew I was gay when I was around sixteen. 

Tattoo:tps: When, or how did you first discover Lola Lamore?

David: It wasn’t until I was in my twenties. I discovered Lola after being in an abusive relationship. In that relationship, I was emotionally and sexually abused. When it ended I was a mess. I was depressed and couldn’t interact with anybody. When I discovered the ISCWR, I bought shoes and raided mums closet. Lola was born. The minute I turned into Lola, I was turned into a different person. 
(Laughs) The first time I let a real girl do my makeup, it was not pretty. It was horrible! I looked like a football player in heels. I looked like I had fallen out of a semi-truck and into a pair of heels. 
So the first clothes I put on were my mothers. It was what I had available. But when she found out, she was like you can’t raid my closet, but I can raid yours. LOL  My mother was not supportive of who I was. She wanted to pray away the confusion. 

Tattoo:tps: And yet your grandparents did except you. 

David: My grandfather never had the privilege of meeting Lola as he died on the farm in 2008. Long before I came out. 

Tattoo:tps:  (My condolences). Your grandmother, a religious woman, how does she rationalize one being bisexual or a drag queen, and a minister? What do you think she would tell people?

David: She believes it’s not her job to judge, only God can judge. So she would tell people to shut the hell up. (laughs)

Tattoo:tps: One of your tattoos is the Star of David. Why did you choose this?


David: My tattoo is a representation of my Jewish ancestors. I am a Jewish Christian, that’s how I equate the two. As Christ himself was Jewish this to me makes me feel that much more connected to my faith. 
I grew up in the church. Ministry was always something I strived for. In fact, it’s why I went to Bible school. When I graduated from college in Eston, Saskatchewan, I knew I was gay. I also knew I couldn’t be fully authentic so I struggled for years to figure out how to do ministry as a Gay man.  I’m now able to do this authentically because of one simple verse of the Bible; John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” I believe that everyone is created by God and that he loves all his creations. 




Tattoo:tps: You also have a black rose tattoo on your leg. Do you have a fondness for roses, or is there a significance for this tattoo? 

David: The rose tattoo is in memory of the founder of the international court system. The ICS is a charity organization throughout Mexico, USA, and Canada. We raise money for scholarships and other various charities unique to each chapter. The founder is Jose Julio Syria, Empress 1 the Widow Norton (commonly referred to as Mama Jose). I got the tattoo the year he died after the Queen Mother Nicole of the Americas made a proclamation that all title holders wear a black rose that year. Now, I proudly wear a black rose all year long to honor his memory. 


Tattoo:tps: Tell us more about your role of Lola Lamore as a Minister. Is there a particular church that you work with?

David: No there isn’t. I just send emails out and see what happens. They invite me to their church. I’ve been to at least six of them now. 
For years I would do Christian music as that’s predominantly what I listen to. I discovered people enjoying it so I kept at it. Recently, I was given an opportunity to partner with a church. So for the past two years, I’ve been working at bridging the gap between the LGBTQ2 and the community. The church has done a lot of damage to the LGBTQ2 community and I am kind of that buffer zone between them. I get the backlash from them and the church. And at the same time, somebody's gotta be willing to do it.  I feel that it is my gift to do so.

It’s no small task but I consider it a calling.

Tattoo:tps: Thank you David.

David:  My pleasure. 

If you would like to know more about what David is up to, you can visit him on his Facebook page: Dave Lola Copeland. 
















#dragqueen, #drag, #gay, #christiangays, #gayrights, #gayminister

No comments:

Post a Comment