Friday 24 February 2017

A Woman's Story

                                     Vintage Images/Getty Images   Betty Broadbent 1930's


As many new projects go, there is always a time frame where adjustments need to be made, the target audience redefined, and / or the tone of voice tweaked. Two weeks into my project brings me to the point where I have rediscovered the direction that I would like to take this in. You see, I have been looking at a lot of websites and exploring the Ink culture via the internet and one thing I have discovered is that I am fascinated by the woman in the Ink culture. 

One of the first things I understood was that the tattooed models were really no different than the traditional fashion models. They are all gorgeous, in perfect physical shape, and young. All of a sudden I found myself becoming very self conscious of getting a tattoo. “Oh my god, I can’t show off my body art because people will see my old lady curves” is what I began telling myself. I began to feel unworthy of this beautiful art form. After a few meditative breaths, I was able to build my confidence back up to a shoulder canvas. Maybe my ankle or foot? Then the woman I know and love inside screamed out “What the hell are you doing? Get the damn tattoo on your ass and show the world.”  Ok, maybe I won’t be getting one on my ass right away, but I am over the self sabotage that plagued my mind for two and a half hours. 

When I went to the mall I noticed women with tattoos. Here in Edmonton there are a lot of people with tattoos. A lot. So there I was walking through the mall and saw a few women with tattoos. These women came in different sizes. They came in a variety of ages. But they all had something beautiful displayed on their skin. It was in this moment that I knew the direction of my project. It is to honor women of all shapes and sizes...the beauty of their art...their story...a woman’s story.

#women  #tattoos  #beauty  #womenover40  #ladies  #wildwomen #vintage

No comments:

Post a Comment