Monday 6 March 2017

Honoring Stories

Journal Entry #5


As of today, I have talked with four participants; my daughter Symarah, Mikayla, Chanel, and this weeks participant Bailey. I have to tell you I am so happy to have chosen the direction of focusing on women. So far my participants have all been young women, which has been interesting for me. It is a great reminder of how much depth and soulfulness that can be expressed in today's youth. Especially with Chanel and Bailey, two young women I have just met. Their openness to share their intimate stories with me is very courageous and surely will touch the hearts of others. 

I realized that this is one of the beautiful things about women and their tattoos. Women are naturally passionate creatures in everything they do, so why would it be any different when it comes to their tattoos. Women share. And I think most want a space where they can be authentic and reflect upon where they have come from. For many, the Ink is symbol of their story. 

This  openness is actually essential to me as a writer as it gives heart to the content. On my first creative journalist project, Church Street ...Where Hope Grows, I had interviewed over fifty people that lived or worked in the inner city area called Church Street. After interviewing them, I would take their stories and turn it into poetry and prose. Some of the meetings became very intense emotionally. At first I thought that was because I am an empath, meaning it is easy for me to plug into the emotions of others, but as time went on, I realized it was the pockets of emotions being released by the participants. Many people really opened up and shared a beautiful part of themselves. I was humbled and honored throughout the process of creating the book. And from what I am experiencing so far in this new journey, it is the same. 

I had a woman tell me once, that people should never let their stories die within them. I truly hope that I am able to honor many women by creating a safe space where they can share their stories and the symbols they chose to reflect them.  And in turn, I will do the same. 

#stories  #women  #leanin  #womensharing  #womencaring  #reflections  #tattoos  #symbols  #bodyart

No comments:

Post a Comment