Friday 17 March 2017

Interview with Tattoo Artist John LaFleur




John LaFleur is an awesome guy and talented artist who works at Platinum Ink, 8939 82 Ave, Edmonton, AB. It was really good of John to take the time out from his schedule and do this interview with me.



When did you become interested in tattooing? Do you remember what the first tattoo was that you inked?  Did you practice on yourself?
John:  I first started tattooing about two years ago 2014.  I ordered a kit online. They sell starter kits online and it comes with a machine, some ink, some needles, and some proper cleaning stuff. The kit cost around $74 bucks, but was really cheap stuff, (laughs), I wouldn’t recommend to get it. It’s pretty much for tattooing grapefruits and stuff. It’s just for practice.
I tattooed my ex-girlfriend. I did a little tribal panther on her that turned out really nice.  After that I decided, hey, I should get into this. I gave myself a tattoo on my leg, it was a rose and skull … it was very difficult because your natural instinct is to pull it out while you're trying to keep it in there to get a good straight line, but your body's saying “what are you trying to do to yourself?” (laughs). After that, I started tattooing from home, working on my friends and family.


How did you get started professionally?
John: A year ago this place opened up and I showed my boss Kris my work. He was really impressed with what I had done. He says “that’s some really good tattoos here, how long have you been tattooing?” He was surprised when I told him I was only a first year. He said my work looked more like a five year and he hired me. I guess I have a natural knack for it.


Do you have a formal art background or any special training?
John: I have always been drawing since as long as I can remember, replicating stuff, or making my own things. I have done a bit of sculpting, painting and a bit of airbrushing. I like trying all types of art out to see what I can do and see where my strengths are. Sculpting has helped me to get a good 3-D perspective of things and how to draw things properly.


What tattoo artist do you most admire?
John: There are so many talented artists out there, and they inspire me because I think if they can do it, why can I.  I really like the work by Guy Aitchison and Oliver Peck. Those guys are really cool. And of course my boss Kris. He’s shown me everything I know.


How do you describe your style now?
John:  I find myself to be really into black and grey realism, but I can do colour realism to. I like to try out all these different styles because I am a new tattoo artist, and don’t know what my preferred specialty is yet. But so far what I have been trying is old traditional, new school and Japanese; I’ve been doing really well with it, so, I am still trying to figure out where my strong foot is.  So I’m just learning everything that I can.

What are some of the favorite pieces that you have created?
John: I really like a lot of the work I’ve done. You can check out my stuff at lafleur.john on Instagram.

What is your favorite part of the job?
John: My favorite part of the job, is honestly, the reactions I get from the people I tattoo. The best one was when this lady cried happy tears, that was hands down the best. When they love it, it makes you feel good about yourself. It’s on them forever and that’s really great.


What are your future goals as a tattoo artist?
John: My actual life time goal is to have someone tattooed by me around the world. Like on each continent or something like that.


Since my main focus on Tattoo: The Pictures Story is about women, I would like to ask you some questions pertaining to women.
John: Sure go ahead.


I have come across many stories of women who have survived breast cancer are getting tattoos done to cover scarring.  Have you had any women coming in here for this same reason?
John: We have a display box for breast cancer research/contributions over on the desk. So we definitely support the cause. As far as having worked on women for this purpose, no, not yet, but we would definitely be willing to do so.   We are always open to that, cause we like helping out and stuff, help them feel confident again.   


What percentage of your customers are women?
John: Probably right around 50 / 50, it’s pretty even.


Who do you find easier to tattoo, men or women? Who are the braver ones? (laughs)

John: Women are braver. Lots of guys are like, “oh this hurts more than I thought”, while the women are like, “Oh this isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.” They seem to handle it better. (we make a joke about childbirth) Most chicks find it very therapeutic actually. It’s like a nice abrasive scratching, especially when you're doing the shading. I kinda like that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment