Friday 3 March 2017

The Dove







At the age of eighteen I decided to get the dove tattoo. At that point it had been six years since my mother had died; she passed away when I was twelve years old. The dove is a symbol of my mother. I never really got to know her because she struggled with drugs and addictions. She was trapped in a life style that she could not leave. When she passed away she became free from the addictions, free from her life; now she’s able to fly away and to move on. Because I grew up in foster care, the idea of family is really important to me.  And now I have a beautiful daughter. The bond between mothers and daughters is strong. My mother wasn’t able to be with me, but now every time I look into the mirror, I am reminded of her, and my feelings for her. It is healing. It seems that the dove does bring peace. 
I have three other tattoos, but I think my favorite is the one written across my chest “One Life One Chance”.  It’s a reminder to live your best life. 

The tattooist is my friend Irvin Badarm. It took about two hours to have it done. It hurt just a little, but it really wasn’t bad. I decided to have the dove on my face because that was the place that felt right for me. I chose to have it in traditional black lines because I like to keep it clear and simple. The lines are bold and stand out. The other day a lady saw it and asked if it was a dove, and then told me how she really loved it. That was really nice. It feels good to have others compliment it. Tattoos are art on the body. A woman shouldn’t have to hide her tattoos. They are meant to be seen. 
~ Chanel Thom

To contact Chanel you can visit her at her Face Book page and send a friend request. 

Chanel would like her shout out to go to the Edmonton's Youth Empowerment & Support Services. By helping to empower our youth we are investing in everyone's future.  

#dove  #tattoo  #bodyart  #women  #womenwithtattoos  #mothers  #daughters  #family

No comments:

Post a Comment