Monday 3 April 2017

Edmonton Tattoo & Arts Festival 2017: Overview



Since this was my first time going to a tattoo event, I really had no idea of what to expect, other than there’d be tattooing, lots and lots of tattooing, and a few scheduled entertainment performers.

Being new to the tattoo culture and community, I’m still pretty much in the dark of who is who and all the big names in the industry. To be honest, when I looked around, most of the artists were on pretty even ground. There was so much talent to be found reflecting diverse backgrounds of styles and techniques. Taking my time to walk up and down the carefully laid out aisles of booths, I watched as artists worked on their customers. Some people were having their backs done, while others had their arms or legs being worked on. One thing I did notice was that 99% of the people in the process of getting a tattoo looked very relaxed and comfortable. There was no grimacing of pain, and many were just chatting away with the artist doing the work or leaning back half asleep. I found this pleasing to see as it eliminated some of my concerns with the amount of pain associated with getting a tattoo.

One of the things I noticed was that most of the artists were busy with clients. I think if a tattooist wasn’t taking a break, they were busy at work. I’m not sure how this system works, but it would make sense that people can make appointments ahead of schedule knowing that the artist they want will be in town during this event.  I am also sure that some people are just spur of the moment and doing a walk in. There were a couple of bigger pieces being done that would take time and planning.
A good example of this would be someone like Kyle Staub, owner of Honor Bound Tattoos from Calgary, AB. Kyle was working on a large Viking back piece that would take a bit of time and planning. (photo on the left) One of the things I really liked about Kyle and his team was how friendly they were. This is important to me as a potential customer because if someone is going to be putting permanent ink on my body, I want it to have healthy happy vibes. You can see more of Kyle's work at  Honor Bound Tattoos.

An interesting and maybe important observation I made was that there was just as many women at this event as men. There really seemed to be an even score of men and women who were tattoo artists and clients.  I’m not sure when the explosion of women artists decided to get involved in the ink community, but they sure have made a place for themselves. And women of all ages (over 18 of course), shapes and sizes were wearing their piece of art proudly. Some women had large pieces while others had simple small designs.  I was certainly in the right place and time when one woman came over to the Crimson Empire table to show her friend the photo of herself that was in the portfolio on the table. (photo right above)

Tattooists were not the only vendors who had been set up at the festival. There were many product related booths such as ink suppliers and skin cream & cleansers which is mostly targeted towards the tattoo artists. But for the average tattoo enthusiast, there were lots of little trinket shops, clothing companies and art booths to shop at. (There will be an upcoming blog post with more focused detail)

One of the things that surprised me was there was an actual wedding that took place on the Saturday afternoon. Yes, you read that correctly, a wedding. I am sure most who did not know them would ask the question “why there”? The wedding was actually adorable. The couple Dawn & Brent were obviously in love and supported by an equally adorable family. Brent was pretty covered up with his suit and tie, but Dawn in her lovely white dress revealed a lot of ink. So my guess is that they know a lot of people in the Ink Community and have some kind of a nostalgic thing for this festival.

Aside from a wedding there was entertainment on the hour. The events Host Speaker was Brennan Doucet. Brennan also performs in The Beau Creep Show. The entertainment varied between musical artists such as Marleana Moore, HighKicks, Bambooloo, Rusty Meeks and Sam Spades. There were also shows performed by the Infuego: Original BassBus Production and the Bombshell Brigade Cabaret Featuring NOIR.  (For more detailed reading, see Edmonton Tattoo & Arts Festival 2017: Entertainment)

I was disappointed to learn that Lucky Diamond Rich was not able to attend the event. He was actually one of the main headliners, and one of the people I was really looking forward to meeting. From what I understand, he had troubles at the airport and was not permitted to leave the country. Hopefully there will be a public explanation to solve that mystery.

But there was a famous woman who was there. Sara X Mills is a beautiful model who has become famous from the TV show Das Supertalent 2016 and an internet sensation for her special talent. This gorgeous and adorable young woman can make her boobs dance to music. I might want to add that she wears a beautiful collection of tattoos.

This may have been my first time at the Edmonton Tattoo & Arts Festival, but it will definitely not be my last. I met lots of really great local people who I plan to do follow ups with to get interviews and eventually some work done. One of the key take away from this weekend was how the art of Ink is no longer just for Sailors and Hardcore people, but an amazing art form that is beckoning people of all walks of life to come and explore. The artistic possibilities are endless.




#Edmonton  #Arts  #Festival  #Tattoos #Entertainment  #Ink  #BodyArt  #Music 

No comments:

Post a Comment